Sunday, August 21, 2011

I'm Coming Out. . . .

. . . as an education "reformer." gasp!   I'm not really sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure I am one.  I hear it tossed around in the news when Wendy Kopp says that all children deserve an excellent education, when President Obama declares a need for high quality early learning, or when Arne Duncan drives the Aviation High robot around.

Until now, my only exposure in the Seattle "blogosphere" was an offhand inclusion as a "reformer" in the The Stepford Wives of Race to the Top.  While I prefer to be flattered by the association with Nicole Kidman and Bette Midler,  I assume the intended parallel was to the brainwashed robot.

Maybe that's what's missing, proof that we're not all robots. Proof that "education reformers," a loose group of individuals who share a range of ideas geared towards improving kids lives, are people, not corporations, not foundations, not machines. Proof that we can be Teach For America corps members and alumni, Gates Foundation grant recipients, union members, Stand for Children members, League of Education Voters Supporters, racers to the top, Democrats, Republicans  or whatever and still be critical advocates for children.

This blog should be venue to share the stories of the individuals who believe that all children deserve an excellent education, the achievement gap can be closed, and education is a social justice issue.  I hope that this becomes a place for you to share big thoughts and connect with others who want to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment